Divorce & Family Law Services

Contact us to schedule a FREE no-obligation consultation today (in full compliance with our privacy policy).

Schedule a Free Consultation

Child Support

Effective July 1, 2017, courts in the State of Illinois implemented changes to how child support is to be calculated. Child support obligations will be calculated using “Income Shares Method”.

Alimony

Maintenance is a monetary sum paid by one spouse for the benefit of the other spouse upon separation or the dissolution of marriage; also called “alimony” or “spousal support.”

Parenting Time

For years, Illinois statutes referred to decision making for the children of separated parents as “custody” and the time spent with the children by the non-primary parent as “visitation”.

Division of Marital Assets

One of the key functions of a divorce is the division of property acquired during the course of a marriage.

More about our Family Law Services

“If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.” – Albert Einstein.

Search our extensive website library of family law articles written for divorce attorneys and non-lawyers alike:

Taxes owed on retirement funds after an Illinois divorce
Divorce
Russell Knight

Paying Taxes On A 401k Divorce Settlement In Illinois

The point of a 401(k), 403(b) or other tax-deferred account is to save money before paying taxes on the money saved. If a worker saves 7% of their income in a 401(k) account, the worker will only be taxed, the year of that contribution, on the remaining 93%. The money saved in a 401(k) grows

Read More
Preparing For Illinois Divorce
Family Law
Russell Knight

How To Prepare For A Divorce In Illinois

One of the worst parts about divorce is the anxiety of the unknown. What will happen to my kids in my divorce? What will happen to my money after a divorce? What can I do now to protect myself when the divorce is filed?  It is overwhelming but there are, in fact, several things you

Read More
Illinois parental alienation
Divorce
Russell Knight

Parental Alienation In Illinois

When two parents decide to no longer continue their relationship with each other they still must maintain a relationship with the children. When one parent’s relationship with his or her child is harmed by the other parent the term “parental alienation” is often invoked by psychiatrists and family law attorneys.  What is parental alienation in

Read More
Divorce Petition In Illinois
Divorce
Russell Knight

Petition For Dissolution Of Marriage In Illinois

Divorce is daunting. The first step to the formal, legal process of divorce in Illinois is filing the Petition For Dissolution of Marriage. This document has numerous legal requirements and is your first impression to the court that will decide what happens in the next chapter of your life. What Is A Petition For Dissolution

Read More
What issues can be reserved in an Illinois divorce?
Divorce
Russell Knight

Reserving Financial Issues In An Illinois Divorce

Divorce is unpleasant. Most people put off divorce issues…even during the divorce. In fact, financial issues can be reserved to be addressed later should the parties agree or the court determines that reserving a financial matter is appropriate. For most cases, courts are strongly biased towards resolving every financial matter between the parties on the

Read More
How does separation impact an Illinois divorce?
Divorce
Russell Knight

Physical Separation And Divorce In Illinois

Divorce does not happen quickly. Usually there are a few months to a few years between breaking up with a spouse (usually moving out and living apart) and finally being divorced. We politely refer to this period as a “separation.” Does this physical separation have any impact on an eventual divorce in Illinois? How is

Read More

Call Now Button